College of Medicine
Welcome to the College of Medicine at UAMS Northwest Campus and thank you for your interest. We are a community-based Regional Medical Campus (RMC), and exist to expand class size while offering a community-based alternative. As a RMC, we are fully supported and accountable to the UAMS College of Medicine and share the same mission, vision, and core values. Our current focus is on undergraduate medical training with active plans to add an Internal Medicine residency in the near future. We are also partners with the Regional Programs, who have offered Family Medicine residency training since the 1970s.
On the UAMS Northwest Campus, our undergraduate medical education begins in the 3rd year of medical training. All UAMS medical students receive two years of pre-clinical training in Little Rock and transfer to UAMS Northwest Campus for their clinical training. The northwest campus clinical training differs from the Little Rock campus in several important ways:
- Training is mostly provided by community-based preceptors, putting our students on the front line of patient care, and often as 1st assistant in procedures.
- Learning groups are smaller, providing an opportunity for close associations with fellow students and preceptors.
- We utilize a longitudinal integrated curriculum, where subject matter from all disciplines is taught together in parallel instead of concentrated into multiple blocks.
- We are able to maximize the amount of inter-professional education through our collaboration and close proximity with the other Colleges at UAMS Northwest Campus.
- Our students participate in the student-led North Street Clnic each week where patients are evaluated by inter-professional teams.
- Objective educational outcomes for our students, such as performance on subject exams, Step exams leading to graduation and licensing, and residency match results, have been as good as, if not better than, those students who train on the Little Rock campus.
Assignment to the UAMS Northwest campus takes place after acceptance to medical school and during, or just prior to, the M1 year.
So please explore in more detail the educational programs we offer and contact me if I can provide any other information. I believe you will see that our Northwest campus fully embodies the UAMS College of Medicine core values of integrity, respect, teamwork, creativity, excellence, and diversity.
Chris Smith, M.D.
Regional Associate Dean, College of Medicine